(Good day!)
I have recently got a lesson from my 10 year old brother in Afrikaans. So I am trying really hard to use some of the language as much as I can!
Here are a few South African facts I have failed to tell you all
- There are 11 official languages
- Cape Town is in the western province in South Africa. There are nine provinces in South Africa (provinces are similar ideas to the 50 US states)
- 1 Rand is so far equivalent to 8 USD.
- They don't call it gas or fuel, it's petrol.
- When you flush the toilet, the water goes opposite than back home because of the different hemispheres.
- People drive in the ride side of the car, left side of the road.
Common lingo
babbeless = hungover
shame = I feel sorry for you or too bad (I have started to use shame on a daily basis)
takkis = tennis shoes
fetch = When will you like me to come fetch you?!
phone = Do you want me to phone you when I am ready?!
man = yeah, man! shame, man!
lekkar = wonderful, "that's great"
Robot = Traffic light
That's all I have for now, but these are typical ways of speech in Cape Town.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

oh man... i forgot about robots! haha! I still catch myself using shame here and there! oh i am so jealous of you!
ReplyDelete