Happy Birthday, Kristen!!!! Wish I could be there, I tried calling you, but no answer :(
Today everyone woke up with a lot of energy. One of the girls on the trip broke her foot a week before the trip and still decided to come. Catie has been such a trooper and we have all helped her getting around. So, today at breakfast, Catie came to the table veeeery happy. The doctors in the US wouldn't let her take vicadin over here, so she was in a great deal of pain the first couple of days. Corvell brought her to the hospital and was prescribed with South African vicadin :) So, Catie was a little loopy at breakfast today, pretty funny.
We started the day by traveling to Signal Hill, which overlooked all of Cape Town. I never knew how big this city truly was until I was on top overlooking. It reminds me a lot of California as well as somewhere in the Caribbean. BEAUTIFUL! It was a sunny morning and we were able to see mountains, the ocean, the city life as well as the country life. We took a bunch of pictures, which I can't post now because I am not on my computer. We were able to see the World Cup stadium, which is awesome! I really want to get tickets, I have a place to stay :) Who's with me??\
After Signal Hill, we drove around the peninsula and ended up at Hout Bay, which is a fishery town. Here is where we saw a completely different side of Cape Town. A much smaller, rural township with a lot of poverty. We were able to try Africa's fish n chips, though. The fish was caught behind the restaurant we ate at, so of course, I had to try it! Very good :)
We then drove to see the penguins! The weather turned to rain and it was pretty crummy. On the way there, it finally hit us that we were in South Africa. We stopped on the side of the road and saw baboons!!! Haha, we told Jonny and Dayle to pull over! To the left of us was an ostrich farm. The ostriches were very funny, but I don't think they liked me.
We finally got to the Penguin beach where we saw so many little penguins!!! We were in a very pretty area an the rain was started to calm down and the sun started to come out. There was a beautiful rainbow that appeared in the sky.
We finally made it back to the guest house, Deo Gratia, where Corvell scheduled a Braai (a South African style barbeque). Corvell had a bunch of his friends over that cooked all of the food for us. They even cooked me some vegetaria sausage, very good :) It was a great evening and his friends were wonderful. We all bough bottles of wine from the bar in the guest house and enjoyed spending time together.
When everyone left, all of the girls grabbed their wine and headed to the living room. The evening consisted of hot seat, would you rather, never have I ever, and many heart-to-hearts. It was great learning about everyone and we were all so interested in learning about each other. It was a great bonding time and I am so thankful to share this wonderful expreience with such wonderful people. We stayed up way too late, but it was totally worth it.
That's all for now, more to come. Today we are going wine tasting!!
Miss and love you all :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Meg! This all sounds so exciting and wonderful! I'm so happy that all the girls are cool, and that Senegal wasn't as scary as we thought and that you can eat veg food no problem! : ) I'm preeeettty jealous that you saw penguins in their natural habitat. I love them.
ReplyDeleteWell doood, I'm off to work in the rain haha.
Love you, miss you, take care!