Today we woke up pretty early for breakfast. Corvell is trying to cram in a bunch of sightseeing and tours before we start classes at the University of Cape Town on Monday. We started the day by taking the ferry to Robbens Island, which is about a 15 minute ride from the Cape. Robbens Island is where Nelson Mandela and many other political figures were prisoned during the apartheid years. We were given a tour around the island and were able to see where Nelson Mandela's prison cell was as well as the garden he grew in one of the court yards, where he grew his own vegetables and hid his manuscripts. The tour guides are ex-prisoners, so it was very interesting to hear their experiences during their time on the island.
After the island, we went to the District 6 museum which is located in the city center. District 6 is an area with a great amount of history. Within this past century, many Africans were removed from this area that they called home to another part of the city. The district then became an all "white" district, in which laws were passed that no people of color could live or enter the district. What amazes me most is how recent these events in South Africa are. I was 10 years old during the removal process... Hard to believe.
When we left District 6, we headed to the Heart Transplant museum. This museum is located in a section of the hospital where the first successful heart transplant took place. We learned the history as well as the lives of the individuals who were involved with the transplant. It was kind of creepy and it was at the end of the day, so most of us were pretty tired! In the museum, there was wax figurines of all of the people involved and it looked so weird!!! We all tried very hard to be mature and handle ourselves during the tour, but we couldn't stop laughing. The tour guide was a bit strange and the whole situation was just hilarious. None of us wanted to be there!!
After the museum, it was time to eat! We went to the most American restaurant, haha. I ordered a vegetarian burger, which might have been the best I have ever had. There are no worries about the food here. I can't believe how people made it such a big deal. I was laughing with my friend Jen as we went to the salad bar and grabbed lettuce and unpeeled vegetables. I have been drinking the best tap water and we all have been pretty much disobeying all of the rules the travel clinic has told us. We are all alive and well, no one has gotten sick. Anyways, back to the dinner. I sat with a group of girls and one of our driver's Jonny. Jonny thought we were crazy as we were sipping South African beer and laughing about anything. When dinner was finished, we noticed Jonny talking to one of the waiters. As everyone started getting up from the tables, all of the waiters in the restaurant came over to our section singing happy birthday. Who are they singing happy birthday to???? Why, me of course! So, if you know me, then you know that I turned beat red, more red than a tomato. I started laughing, began to cry while everyone surrounded me with their cameras, laughs, and birthday singing. It was hilarious!!! So, now I am plotting an attack against Jonny. I am working on something right now with Corvell, and by the end of this trip, Jonny is getting his payback!!
Great first day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment